Jan 25, 2023 Crossing Day! Lake Worth, Fla to West End, Bahamas
Today is crossing day!
We have the instrument package fired up early so we can watch for the wind shift that makes for good sailing. About 11 am wind direction has come around and it is time to go. Final checks are made anticipating rough conditions during the 80 mile journey.
When I was in grade school geography class and studyng the gulf stream I remember wondering what it looked like. A huge river of warm powerful water in the midst of the ocean, how cool must that be? (Actually we probably would've said "that must be groovy!" The 70's, ya know.) Well here I am, me and the gulf stream on another eastward crossing.
When I was in grade school geography class and studyng the gulf stream I remember wondering what it looked like. A huge river of warm powerful water in the midst of the ocean, how cool must that be? (Actually we probably would've said "that must be groovy!" The 70's, ya know.) Well here I am, me and the gulf stream on another eastward crossing.
Pulled into West End after dark, got just about the last spot. At least it was straight down the runway.
The sport fishing boat next to us was busily cleaning their catch and feeding the remains to four or five rather large bull sharks. The water is very clear & well lit, so it was fun to watch them circling & asking for more.
We gave the boat a fresh water rinse to get rid of the thick salt crust that had developed on the passage, then realized we hadn't eaten much that day. Brent went to the restaurant and found they had just closed, but the ladies kindly re-opened and made us two burgers and fries. It was 10:30 PM!
Next morning we met Todd & Susan from across the marina on their brand new (to them) Leopard 410. We had seen them in St Augustine & Lake Worth, but not talked.
Sam & their dog Elsa played on the beach until they couldn't play anymore, obviously really enjoying the rough & tumble in the sand & water. They were caked with sand; I think that is just going to be part of life for the next few weeks.
We sat on the porch of the marina restaurant, and were delightfully surprised to get an excellent meal, not just the usual cafe fare.




Comments