Day 30- Harbor Island to Rockland, ME
It was time to move Star to a new destination. There was a forecast of 3kts wind, so we continued our "motor boat tour" of New England.
When you think of Maine you think lobsters. The coastal waters are wall-to-wall lobster traps right now. This is a pretty bad photo and doesn't do it justice, but might give you an idea of how dense the traps are. They are usually on a 30-40 ft grid spacing, sometimes closer.
I think we're lowering their property values! LOL! That's a private yacht. It would take 4 of me to equal the size of one of their boat bumpers!
When you think of Maine you think lobsters. The coastal waters are wall-to-wall lobster traps right now. This is a pretty bad photo and doesn't do it justice, but might give you an idea of how dense the traps are. They are usually on a 30-40 ft grid spacing, sometimes closer.
Brent's trying to pilot a 38ft long, 21 ft wide boat through this pinball game plus dodging all the lobster boats harvesting them. He's really good at it, but it's tiring. I tend to mutter a lot about how I don't even like lobster. Luckily we are only going about 30 miles today.
(Nature note: if they take just 1 lobster from each trap for a day, that's a lotta lobstah! But they catch multiples every day. How is that sustainable? Every female can produce 5000-100,000 eggs every 12-15 months. Maybe 1% make it to maturity. I guess that's also a lotta lobstah.)
I thought this lighthouse on the point was charming.
While we were staying at Harbor Island the last couple days I realized how heavily fragrant these islands are. Everything smells of spruce and the wild seaside roses that grow everywhere
At the waterline during low tide you get other, less pleasant smells, but I prefer to concentrate on the scent of roses right now.
We have a reservation for a slip at a marina in Rockland. It's a really nice town, very friendly, nice shops, easily walkable, beautiful vistas. I'd probably enjoy living here until it starts snowing in Sept and doesn't stop till April. The marina staff could not be nicer. We pulled in, got the boat tied down, and I asked them where I could find a notary within the next hour (some paperwork about my mom's funeral). They didn't blink but started calling around & gave me directions to a bank 1/2 mile away. No sweat.
The BEST part of marina stays is hot showers with unlimited hot water.πThe free laundry was in the same building, so I also had clean, sand-free bedding.ππ Between our boat slip & the bath/laundry is a nice restaurant where we had dinner. No cooking no cleanup!πππ There are definite advantages to land based life!
I have to show you a picture of our marina neighbors.





Comments