Day 17 & 18 Foggy Block Island and Narragansett Bay
It's nice having a day for staying put & not moving to a new location. There was time to make cinnamon rolls for breakfast and bigger than normal dishes for lunch & dinner. Time to soak up the local color or relax with a book or project.
The only interesting thing that happened today was when one motor yacht's anchor didn't hold and it drifted into another motor yacht some distance in front of us. Apparently no damage because the yelling was kept to a minimum.
There is a very boisterous game of Yahtzee happening on the back deck of the boat in front of us, and they've been playing for hours. I had no idea anyone could get so excited about rolling a five, but apparently it's a cause for lots of hooting and hollering. I suspect beer may be involved.
We got out our lawn chairs & headed to the beach to just sit on land a while. Before long, a fog rolled in and thunder sounded from the direction of the ocean. So we skittled back to the boat to prepare for rain, closing windows and bringing in laundry that had been trying to dry in the breeze. There was some light rain, but mostly fog
The only interesting thing that happened today was when one motor yacht's anchor didn't hold and it drifted into another motor yacht some distance in front of us. Apparently no damage because the yelling was kept to a minimum.
There is a very boisterous game of Yahtzee happening on the back deck of the boat in front of us, and they've been playing for hours. I had no idea anyone could get so excited about rolling a five, but apparently it's a cause for lots of hooting and hollering. I suspect beer may be involved.
We got out our lawn chairs & headed to the beach to just sit on land a while. Before long, a fog rolled in and thunder sounded from the direction of the ocean. So we skittled back to the boat to prepare for rain, closing windows and bringing in laundry that had been trying to dry in the breeze. There was some light rain, but mostly fog
until after bedtime, when we had a heavy thunderstorm that woke me up. I got up to investigate some noises, which turned out to be just waves against the hull, but it's best to be sure!
Thurs Day 18
It's still foggy and there's a heavy rain. I somehow managed to squeeze Shelby's walk in between downpours. My timing's usually not that good!
It's interesting to note how the beaches change as we move north. At home it's all sand & oyster shells. Delaware added conch shells and sea glass. By New Jersey it was sand & clam shells. Here in Rhode Island I found scallop shells, granite & marble rocks added in with the sand. I thought these were pretty:
We set out from Block Island northeast heading for Jamestown, RI, where we have a mooring reserved.
The sail was rainy & a bit foggy, with roll-y seas. We sailed parallel path with an oceanic research ship called American Promise that claims to be the most ecologically friendly scientific vessel around. Here's their website if you're interested: https://rozaliaproject.org/about/american-promise/
They waved at me as I was on deck adjusting sails, so that won me over! They are overnighting in the same harbor as us, too.
On the way into Narragansett Bay we came upon a major sailboat race- probably close to a hundred boats. Their day was just finishing up, so they accompanied us into the marina area. (I know- I should have gotten a picture!)
It feels good to be set on our mooring ball in Jamestown, even if the harbor is roll-y. By the time we arrived, we were rainsoaked and cold- it's only 67 deg here. I hear at home its in the upper 90's, so I guess we've found our cooler weather! It was damp inside the boat so we actually have the heater on to dry things out and warm up. But the dockmaster says the temperature will be 100deg on Sat. By then we should be moving on up the coast.



Comments